Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Book Review: Ready, Willing, and Abel by Sarah O'Rourke

Ready, Willing, and Abel

by Sarah O'Rourke


US 
 UK 
CA  
AU 


Ready, Willing, and Abel Synopsis:

Patience McKinnon has never even tried to live up to her unfortunate name. Her sisters would gladly point out that she’s impetuous, fickle, and stubborn to a fault. History has taught her that she’s the only one, besides those crazy sisters, that has her best interests at heart...and she’s not about to let down her guard and let herself get hurt. She did that once...and that was more than enough. Next time, she’s fairly certain that she’d rather just shoot first and ask questions later, thank you very much! 

Enter Abel Turner. The suave town attorney has had Patience McKinnon in his sights for years. Sure, he strayed along the way, but he’s always come back to the beautiful blonde bartender that fills his dreams and drives him crazy at the same time. After all, he owes her...and he plans to rectify the bad impression he made in the past with a humdinger of a sensual night. 

But that one night may just change both of their worlds...forever. Will Patience overcome her insecurities? And will Abel ever convince her to trust him again? 

Join the entire town of Paradise and the intrepid McKinnon sisters in this humorous and poignant erotica romance! Standalone.

Excerpt 

“Sweetheart,” Abel murmured quietly, his eyes soft on her face, “Your mouth might still be able to lie, but your body can’t.  You want me, too.  The truth is in those swollen lips and flushed cheeks.  And if those little tells weren’t enough to convince me, those hard little nipples of yours would,” he added as his eyes drifted from her face to her breasts. 
Patience shifted against him as she felt his eyes hone in on her tightened peaks.  Damn it, she’d known she should have worn a padded bra tonight, she silently chastised herself.
“And I’m betting,” Abel drawled slowly, dropping his hand on her ass to the hem of her short dress, “that if move my hand up just a few inches to your panties, I’m gonna find ‘em drenched.”
Patience gasped as she felt his thumb tease the skin on the back of her thigh.  “Abel…” she breathed, her voice sounding faint to her own ears.
“Should I check, Angel?  Should I lift this sexy, but positively indecent dress and investigate whether your pussy is just as wet as I think it is?” he asked huskily, his lips ghosting over her cheek as he spoke as his thumb inched just a little higher up her thigh.
Catching his wrist when it would have scooted the silky material of her dress up her leg another inch, Patience’s eyes narrowed.  “What the hell are you doin’, Abel?” she asked in a low voice.  She knew by the glint in his eyes that the man had a plan… a devious, wicked agenda.  She just wasn’t sure she wanted any part of it.  “Just because you can get my body hot and bothered doesn’t mean that my mind is on board with the way you’re acting.  I can handle my own body’s needs with ten minutes and my vibrator.  Your assistance is neither appreciated nor needed.”
Gasping when Abel’s lips found the hollow between her neck and shoulder, she shivered when his tongue found the sensitive flesh.  “I notice you didn’t say that you’d walk back out to the party and find a willing stud.  Curious, isn’t it?  See, I know you don’t want any of those assholes.  You don’t even want your battery boyfriend.  You want me, Patience.  And that want isn’t going away for either of us.  I’m not gonna lie and say I understand it.  I just know the attraction is there.  For both of us.  We’re both consenting adults, and trust me when I tell you that I can explore places that vibrator just can’t reach.  Relax, take down the wall between us, and let this happen.  Let’s explore this pull we have between us.  It’s time,” she heard him murmur against her neck.  “Give me this and I swear, you won’t regret it.”




My Rating:


Favorite Quotes:


“He had a body that screamed sin, and if she hadn’t been occupied planning his murder in her mind, she might have appreciated the scenery a whole lot more.”

“I fail to see how it’s MY fault that your legs have opened more times than the sliding doors down at the Shop n Save.  It’s not on me that your ex-boyfriend finally saw the light and moved on with his life.”

“Just turn around, grab your broomstick, and go.  If I see your Winged Monkeys, I’ll tell them you came by,”

“We’ll always fight.  It’s our foreplay, darlin’.”

“‘Orla, you have a pecker at home… Two of ‘em if you count the one in the bedside table.”

“The man was walking, talking sex on a stick and every red-blooded woman in town knew it.  Heck, even man-hater Old Lady Winslow fanned herself when Wrath McKay walked into the cafĂ©.”

My Review:


I love Sarah O’Rourke!  Whenever there is mention of a new book by these ladies (there are two of them), the books become an instant addition to my TBR before the rough drafts are even finished.  Their writing is steamy, ridiculously funny, and highly entertaining, yet also insightful and observant.  I have loved each book in the Paradise series, although I found Patience a bit hard to warm up to.  I loved the story and the writing, adored the humor, and loved the smart dialog and witty banter, but I found the character of Patience to be a trial.  She was often petty, rude and a general nightmare towards most everyone and especially poor Abel.  She had a short fuse and a violent temper, indicating that her given name of Patience was a total contradiction as she appeared completely lacking in that skill set.  However, Abel’s name for her of Hellion seems right on the nose though.  And I pitied the poor swoon-worthy Abel, although his behaviors toward her years ago were part of the reason Patience was such a bitter and snarky mean-girl.   When the besotted Abel finally wears her down and gets her to agree to a “do-over” they find their chemistry and passion to be utterly volcanic – we knew it would be right?  Although the consequences soon come back to bite them in the derriere.  Toss in some intrigue and a crazy ex, and settle in for a long and amusing read.  I am already looking forward to the next one!  More please Sarah, and just plan to keep them coming.

Empress DJ







Author Bio:
Sarah O'Rourke is the alter ego of two best friends who have taken their passion for romantic & erotic fiction to the publishing world. Born and raised in the southern United States, one lives near Louisville, KY, while the other resides in Atlanta, Georgia. Neither is ever very far from a tall glass of sweet iced tea, their dog-eared copies of Gone With the Wind, or their Steel Magnolias DVDs! Formerly an accountant and a chemist, they are now overworked, stay-at-home moms who adore their children, their husbands...and writing about love in every way possible!


Ready, Willing and Abel Playlist
  • You Don’t Own Me – Dusty Springfield
  • R-E-S-P-E-C-T – Aretha Franklin
  • Bitch – Meredith Brooks
  • She’s An American Girl – Trisha Yearwood
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cindi Lauper
  • Everything I Do, I Do It For You – Bryan Adams
  • Mama, He’s Crazy – the Judds
  • Is This Love? – Whitesnake
  • Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
  • True Companion – Marc Cohn
  • All of Me – John Legend




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete