Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Book Review: Lucky by Barbara Cutrera


LUCKY

by Barbara Cutrera

Goodreads

Amazon




It's 2034.  In 2029, the D Plague struck and killed half the world’s population.  Those who contracted the virus faced certain death and the disintegration of their bodies afterwards into dust.  Unbeknownst to all but a handful of people left on Earth, one man contracted the D Plague and lived.  His name is Aric Rodrigue.

Aric may be a living miracle, but he's haunted by survivor's guilt.  His entire family gone, he gave up his dream of attending medical school in order to take over his parents' pharmaceutical company.  He knows he’s doing good work but feels as though he can’t escape his depression and loneliness.  Then, Aric meets Chelsea Capra, a sweet, beautiful computer genius who suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2033.  She remembers nothing of her previous life.  The couple falls in love, but the issues surrounding their pasts and clouding their future remain.

Aric and Chelsea come to the conclusion that their pasts are somehow linked.  They become suspicious of CDC employees and the FBI agents who are supposedly protecting them.  Chelsea's inquisitive nature may get them killed or save their lives.  Aric combines his resources, connections, and drive in his efforts to save them, but he wonders whether or not he’s been betrayed by his closest friend and former lover, the first female President of the United States. 









My Rating:

Favorite Quotes:


“He was only twenty-seven, lonely, and depressed, but he was also inexplicably alive.  That made Aric the most unusual person on Earth.”

I’ll always love you for who you are.  You’re my life, Chelsea Rodrigue.”

“He was not really certain if he even believed in God anymore, and he was trying to figure out what to give his Buddhist wife, Hindu ex-lover, and Christian friends for the Christmas holiday.”

My Review:


The year is 2034, The USA has a female president of Hindu descent, half of the world has died from a virus that turns people into dust with 24 hours; and when I say dust, I mean they crumble into actual dust.  Computers, doors, appliances, automobiles and the like are voice operated – if it weren’t for the virus killing off half the world I would say to sign me up! 
I typically avoid (meaning run from) stories involving plagues and death, but as I have read this author before and have always enjoyed her work, I felt brave.  And I am so glad I gave it a shot as I had a hard time putting it down, and also found myself thinking about the story as I went through my day. 
Despite being unfamiliar and uneasy with the genre, I was quickly lured into the mystery and suspense of the story, as well as intrigued by the characters.  Ms. Cutrera’s work is always highly descriptive, which made my foray into the future a relatively painless and smooth journey.  I was fascinated by the depth of each character and enjoyed getting to know them as they discovered each other.  The story was intriguing, easy to follow, and well-paced.  The final chapters were quite surprising and not at all what I would or could have imaged, but I have only praise and accolades for the plot, mystery, and conclusion as well as the execution of each. 

Empress DJ










Born and raised in Louisiana, Barbara Cutrera was destined to be a storyteller.  The author of contemporary romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, fiction, and mystery novels, she became addicted to reading and creative writing at an early age.  She moved to Florida’s Gulf Coast with her husband, son, and Cairn terrier in 2004 and enjoys its relaxed, diverse atmosphere.  Barbara, who is visually impaired, believes our minds are only limited by the restrictions we place upon them. She has a passion for writing, reading, family, friends, music, Nutella, and A & W Cream Soda.      
You can learn more about Barbara and her work by visiting her at www.onmywayuponline.com


No comments:

Post a Comment