Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Book Review: Better in the Morning by Fern Ronay


Better In The Morning



by Fern Ronay





Description

Veronica Buccino has a plan: marry John DelMonico and quit her soul-sucking job as a lawyer. And when he tells her he has big news, she’s certain he’ll pop the question. But instead of proposing, John informs her that he’s moving to London.

Heartbroken, Veronica feels lost. Salvatore and Antoinette, her dead grandparents, begin to visit her dreams in an attempt to steer her in the right direction. At their suggestion, Veronica takes a news reporting class, which leads to a challenging freelance assignment covering a conspiracy trial. She also begins dating an unlikely suitor: creative Syd Blackman.

Just when her love life and career are looking up, Veronica is tossed back to square one by an event that makes her question all her new choices.

My Rating:


Favorite Quotes:


“Tears flowed.  Get out of here now, you idiot.  This can't be the way he remembers you!  Then, in true 'Hurricane Veronica' form, I tripped over the wire of a lamp that was on the floor in the hallway.  Ouch.  My knee took the brunt of that.  That'll be attractive... And now my nose was running.  A lot.  This was not the look I was going for."

"Have you made it FOB?... Facebook Official... I check it at least twenty times a day... At least.  I have to make sure the mean girls from high school are still saddled with ten kids each and never leave home.  It makes me happy."

"Diarrhea... Best excuse ever.  No one can make you stick around if that's the case... Although, knowing Beverly, she'll probably tell you to go to the store and get a butt plug and get back to work."

"A police car arrived ten minutes later.  The two cops who emerged from the vehicle were so good looking that if I hadn't known better, I would have thought they were going to fake handcuff me, play music from a boom box, and strip."

"He resembled a cartoon bug.  His eyes were two enormous globes on his narrow head.  His hair was jet black and slicked back with so much goo, it looked like the roof of a car that had been waxed to perfection."


My Review:


Better in the Morning was a fun yet relevant and perceptive read that had me smirking and snorting throughout.  The story is well plotted, smartly written, and full of clever humor and heart-squeezing moments.  Veronica is a smart yet socially and physically awkward girl that wants to please, lives in her head, hates her job as a lawyer, and has so much to say - but rarely speaks her mind.  Her inner musings and private thoughts were uproariously funny.  The best relationships she has are with her grandparents - the only problem with that being that they have passed to "the other side."

I adored this book from start to finish.  The characters are quirky, flawed, and somewhat frustrating, yet also endearing and lovable.  Ms. Ronay's writing is highly amusing, witty, and exceptionally insightful and observant.  Her comical depictions of the various characters and scenes had me barking aloud.  This has been my first Ronay experience, but I plan to add her entire listing to my TBR. 

Empress DJ


Author Bio

Fern Ronay has lived in Manhattan, Chicago and now sunny Los Angeles with her husband, but she will always consider herself a Jersey girl. She is working on her next novel.

Website: www.FernRonay.com
On Facebook www.Facebook.com/FernRonay
On Twitter @FernRonay
On Instagram @FernRonay

No comments:

Post a Comment