Friday, October 10, 2014

The Kennedy Half-Dollar - Mahree Moyle Review


Book: The Kennedy Half-Dollar
Author: Mahree Moyle

Book Synopsis:
After high school graduation, Seely is forced to move out on her own. She reluctantly decides to move to Hawaii and stay with her sister until she can find a place of her own. She is offered a job with a well-known nightclub in Waikiki serving cocktails. There, she is introduced to the dark side of life.

One evening on her shift, she hears ominous words directed at Mark, the assistant manager. When she turns to see who said these words-no one is there. Then the next morning tragedy strikes. Mark is found in a cane field shot to death. Seely suspects the Hawaiian Mafia is involved, but has no solid proof.

When the Mafia starts coming after her, believing Seely knows of the murder, she finds herself plunged into a nightmare. Why are they targeting her? Could she have seen or heard something that she was unaware of? Seely knows her life is in grave danger and decides to leave Hawaii, hoping to escape their clutches-except they are informed of her moves. After many years of trying to figure out her connection with Mark's murder, Seely faces the truth.

From the glistening sands of Hawaii to the white mountains of Alaska, The Kennedy Half-Dollar delivers an eclectic and unconventional true crime memoir of nonstop action and suspense-with background music to set the mood.


Book Review:
Holy Christ on a cracker. My heart is still pounding as I write this review, and I don't know when it will return to its normal beating rate. Never have I read a store quite like this one that didn't enrapt me without the use of the paranormal or a strong focus on romance. Out focus remains on our main character Seely as we follow her life after graduation and what a life she has! My heart pounded so many times during reading this book, I clung to my kindle and turned the pages praying for everything to work out for Seel. In short sight looking at how one thing after another came up it can be said it didn't work out, but in the long run it did and I'm so happy for it because I don't know what I would do if it didn't. Seely is probably one of my favorite characters of all time. She's a free spirit with a heart of gold, and no matter all the crap she's endured since she was pretty much shoved out her house during graduation she's survived it all even when she wanted to give up. I laughed with Seely, I shared in her humor, her thoughts, her excitement, her dread, I shed tears with and for her. I love the fact that she didn't need to cling to a guy to find her happiness. Mind you she did cling to guy for happiness several times but in the end she did it on her own, and that shows her strength. An exciting plot that held me from beginning to end I rate this book a stunning 5 stars, 6 if it was possible! 

Favorite Quotes:

"'Seel, I found a for sale sign in the garage.'
Seriously? What took you so long to find that dad? My god, are you sure I shouldn't leave today?l

"'You're going to hell!'
'Good! The bad part is I will see you again!'"

"Life is like the weather. It changes from minute to minute. And if so, the blue skies and sun will return."

"Seely's father was keen to sneezes. He could hear them from vast distances and pondered whether that person washed their hands. That was one of his many quirks associated with germs. Seely had never heard her mother sneeze, probably for fear he would divorce her."

"If you die first, I would make sure you are on display for all to see. I would put one of your fingers up your nose and another up your ass, because that's how I remember you."

No comments:

Post a Comment