Thursday, August 22, 2013

What I Didn't Say - Keary Taylor - Review


15717100
Book: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Genre: Young Adult; Romance
Release Date: May 6th, 2012

Book Synopsis:
Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. 

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.



Book Review:
When I pick up a romance book for young adults, I always expect them to have the same story lines. You know the boy meets girl kind of thing, or maybe the jock gets dared to make the nerd into a hottie before the big dance and he does, but in the process he ends up falling in love with her and blah blah. This book isn't like those books. It's filled with twists and turns, that leave my heart breaking and my throat dry. There were a lot of times when I was reading this book that I got so into it, that I didn't even remember that I wasn't the one in the accident and I could talk. Let's just say a lot of people thought there was something really wrong me. The characters are very real, with situations we can relate to but at the same time we can only imagine. The love you will feel for them, just ordinary people played a large roll for me in continuing reading. I couldn't stop until I knew everything would be okay.
When things seemed to go right, Keary threw another curve ball into the story, so you're never bored with a dry plot. Your heart will break, your heart will race, and you will fight against tears as you read through this book. It ended nicely, like most of these kinds of books do but hey I am not complaining, it was nice to have something after the ride Keary gave me as I turned the pages.

Favorite Quotes: 

"My biggest regret is what I didn't say..."

"But I kind of wanted a little risk. I wanted to see what was down the end of this tunnel. The tunnel eventually had to lead to light, right?"

"Love doesn't last. It's a fantasy."

"The world wasn't going to stop crashing down until there was nothing left of me but dust."

"She's been eyeing you like you're a diet pill ever since she and Blake broke up."

"'I dropped my history textbook on his nuts the night after he hit me,' Sam said with a chuckle as she backed away. 'While he was passed out. He couldn't walk straight for a day and a half and had no idea what had happened.'"


All In All: 
I think one thing I truly admired about this book was how original the plot was, it helps me power through the book because I DON'T know what's going to happen next. In this book you will discover an island filled with loving people, but also people filled with venom and jealousy. You will discover love is a wonderful thing that comes in any package, and that family is wherever there is love. 


Meet Keary Taylor:
Keary Taylor grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now resides on a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and their two young children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night. She is the author of THE EDEN TRILOGY, the FALL OF ANGELS trilogy, and WHAT I DIDN'T SAY. To learn more about Keary and her writing process, please visit www.KearyTaylor.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment