Monday, November 18, 2019

Book Review: My Bare Lady by Piper Sheldon

SWS01-BANNER-BT-sbpr

My Bare Lady, a funny and heartwarming romantic comedy standalone from Piper Sheldon and Smartypants Romance is available now!

20190530_TSWS01_My Bare Lady_Sheldon_KDP_FINAL

Suzie Samuels is the only thing standing between Clifford and his life’s work. All he has to do is change everything about her. Perception creates reality and Clifford Rutledge needs the irascible stripper to prove it.

Suzie Samuels is set to prove once and for all she’s more than Short Fuse Suze, stripper for the Black Demons and renowned motorcycle arsonist. If all it takes is hard work, then Suzie knows how to work it hard.

But Suzie’s scandalous spirit tests Clifford's resolve. And Clifford’s buttoned-up bullying is driving Suzie bonkers.

Can Clifford move past their differences long enough to pull off the impossible task of changing the bare lady into a fair lady?

More importantly, as perceptions shift and priorities change, will he want to?

'My Bare Lady' is a full-length contemporary romantic comedy, can be read as a standalone, and is book #1 in the Scorned Women's Society series, Green Valley World, Penny Reid Book Universe.

SWS01-LIVE copy

Download your copy today or read FREE in Kindle Unlimited!

Amazon Worldwide: http://mybook.to/MBLPiper
Add to GoodReads: http://bit.ly/2lGNwle

About Piper Sheldon 

Piper Sheldon writes Contemporary Romance and Magical Realism books that hope to be New York Times bestsellers when they grow up. For now, she works as a technical writer during the day and writes about love the rest of the time. Of course she also makes room for her husband, toddler, and two needy dogs at home in the Desert Southwest.


My Rating:



Favorite Quotes:




Then his words registered. I was half tempted to chase after him just to smack him upside the head. “Ma’am?!” Me? I was equal parts confused and offended. My outfit hardly covered my nipples and he called me something we call ol’ Mrs. Albensi when we saw her at the Piggly Wiggly. I’m not a ma’am, I’m a miss. I’m still in my twenties! Technically.



Now wasn’t going to be the best time to talk to him but the words had tumbled out after days of preparing them. I guess that’s why everybody told me God used a teaspoon to pour my brains in and had shaking hands.



You clearly have not been burdened by an overabundance of education.



I started making banjo sounds from Deliverance. I was two seconds from lifting my skirt and slapping my knees like at a hoedown…



Don’t let small minds make yours up.



It looked junky and old. I couldn’t remember what color the carpet used to be. If cleanliness was godliness, no wonder I was labeled a fallen woman.




My Review:


I am rather conflicted with this one. While the lashings of humor and insights were often smirk-worthy and brilliantly clever; I struggled valiantly to get through large chunks of Suzie’s storyline as it was hitting some of my least favorite tropes and triggers. I was expecting a rom/com, and while there were witty and humorous elements, the overall tone leaned more heavily toward angst, and toss in the several perilous and dire situations that weren’t at all comical, well ~ sigh.



I was frequently grinding my teeth and despising Suzie’s idiocy and lifetime of poor choices – with little respite as the characters just kept screwing up and making it worse. However, I was also wickedly curious, deeply invested in the story and remaining series, and unable to stop reading. Funny how that happens.





Connect with Piper Sheldon


Connect with Smartypants Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment