Monday, March 17, 2014

Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon

Must Love Otters
Book: Must Love Otters

Author: Eliza Gordon

Genre: Women's Fiction, Contemporary Romance, Chick-Lit

Book Synopsis:

Hollie Porter is the chairwoman of Generation Disillusioned: at twenty-five years old, she’s saddled with a job she hates, a boyfriend who’s all wrong for her, and a vexing inability to say no. She’s already near her breaking point, so when one caller too many kicks the bucket during Hollie’s 911 shift, she cashes in the Sweethearts’ Spa & Stay gift certificate from her dad and heads to Revelation Cove, British Columbia. One caveat: she’s going solo. Any sweethearts will have to be found on site.

Hollie hopes to find her beloved otters in the wilds of the Great White North, but instead she’s providing comic relief for staff and guests alike. Even Concierge Ryan, a former NHL star with bad knees and broken dreams, can’t stop her from stumbling from one (mis)adventure to another. Just when Hollie starts to think that a change of venue doesn’t mean a change in circumstances, the island works its charm and she starts to think she might have found the rejuvenation she so desperately desires. But then an uninvited guest crashes the party, forcing her to step out of the discomfort zone where she dwells and save the day … and maybe even herself in the process.


My Rating

5 - Tears in my eyes from laughing aloud- Stars!  

Favorite Quotes:

“Self-pity is a fickle cow.  She makes you feel worse about feeling worse.”

“Dinner on a date is about so much more than a satisfying meal.  One has to consider a number of factors: too much onion or garlic?  Bad for kissing.  Too much greenery or carbs?  Fodder for the fart factory.  Too spicy?  Could be looking at embarrassing bowel upset.  I also avoid green tea and anything caramel.  Both have resulted in disastrous ends to first dates when my stomach decided that such ingredients are offensive and should be expelled through the lower route immediately, without delay.  Nothing says romance like taking an explosive shit in some stranger’s bathroom.”

“I am glad to see him go, even though I notice - again - how nicely his slacks fit him.  But it doesn’t matter.  He’s an obnoxious mongrel who wouldn’t know how to treat a woman if she gave him an instruction manual with an audiobook and full-color illustrations.  He has to be a total lost cause if he’s still single - he’s gotta be pushing thirty - and living this far from civilization?  He’s probably doing womankind a favor keeping himself out of circulation.”


My Review:

This book is wicked funny!  By page 2 I knew I had found my new favorite author.  Actually, I had an inkling before I even started reading… with the bold heading for Chapter One “Batman Jerry,”… I was already had.  Starting a book with loving otters in the title that contained a first chapter about “Batman Jerry,” well, I could already sense I was going to enjoy the ride.  I must admit – I truly love and adore a clever and snarky heroine who is not afraid to call herself out for being an asshat …you see, I know the type… I personally should be looking for a 12 step program to join.

But I don’t want to give you the impression that this story is all sniggers and giggles.  The whole range of emotions is tapped here.  Many tears. Humiliations.  Betrayals.  Accidents.  And really bad news for Batman Jerry.  Our intrepid heroine, who proves to be more than a bit of a Calamity Jane, has hit a rough patch in her life.  She has finally reached the tipping point of having enough misfortune hit the fan at once, to rouse her from her complacency and bring her to the realization that she is unhappy with her awful job, jackass boyfriend, meager lifestyle, horrid co-workers, distant best-friend, yada yada… and that she deserves more than what she has settled for.  She also knows that she is a large part of the problem and feels… empty and incomplete. Most of us have been there to some extent.  And like most of us when reaching these life-changing epiphanies, she is at a total loss as to what to do about it.  


I instantly liked the title upon first glance as - who doesn’t love otters? They are cute, frisky, and full of funny antics.  It was finding out late in the book why she is so drawn to the otters that squeezed my heart.  As humorous, well written, wily, and brilliantly clever as this story is, there are several points in the book that brought me to a full stop with a, “Wow!  That just got real!” It turns on a dime and runs a crocked obstacle course.  I loved it!  I am still raving about it nearly a week later.  I find I am unwilling to start another book just yet as I am wanting to savor it just a little longer.  Actually, since learning some juicy stuff near the end, I am having a hard time resisting the urge to have the full-on otter experience all over again.  I have a really good feeling that I will enjoy Hollie Porter’s story even more the second time around.  

Empress DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment