Book synopsis: Jayne Sparks, a potty-mouthed, rebellious seventeen-year-old and her best friend, shy and bookish Tony Green, have a pretty typical high school existence, until several seemingly unrelated incidents converge, causing a cascade of events that change their lives forever. Jayne and Tony, together with a group of runaway teens, are hijacked and sent into a forest, where nothing and no one are as they seem. Who will emerge triumphant? And what will they be when they do?
Some key characters:
Our main characters are some of the strangest, fiercest and realest characters I think I have encountered in a very long time when it comes to a book.
- Jayne- Jayne is a spit fire of a character with a mouth that could make any pirate or sailor proud. She tends to get wrapped in her own head, but we all do. Jayne is rather fierce, and can sense the underlying dangers around her. Sad part is though she is far too stubborn a lot of the time to shy away from it, making her an amazingly powerful heroine of our story.
- Tony- Tony is best friends with our heroine Jayne. He connects with her like no one else, and though he is not the strongest will protect Jayne at all costs. He has some underlying strength within him and with the help of Jayne, you can be sure he will kick some serious a**
- Becky- Becky is our little chipper ball of sweetness. She always seems to sport a smile on her face, the happy little chick. She isn't much of a fighter like our other protagonists, but she will capture your heart instantly.
- Spike- Oh Spike, can we talk about hot?! Spike is my kind of guy, and apparently the kind of guy our lovely heroine likes too ;) (Looks like I have some competition for him). Spike is a dude with a killer smile, hot enough to make ice melt in the freezer, is total rock star material, need I say more? No, I don't think I do. I would tell you you would fall in love with him but I would rather you not because I am claiming him right now. Infinity dibs! See? Mine.
- Jared- the mysterious man with the plan. Jared has helped save our main characters early on, but something is really off about the dude. I mean like, falling off the cliff odd not like the rolling off the bed and falling onto the floor kind of fall where your mom comes in because she thinks you died or something and... well I think you understand where this is going.
- Chase- Chase is just too sweet. I like him a lot, a character that you can all find very likeable. Chase is a large guy, don't get me wrong he is big. Man of not so many words though. He is a loyal and dependable sweetheart though.
- Finn- Finn is quite the character. Him and our happy little fire cracker Becky seem to have a thing going. He is very loyal to his friends. He is our little southern cherry, can't have a great story without one of those.
Let me just say this before we get started on how I feel about the book. I am a huge Elle Casey fan. I am part of her street crew, and I spread the word about her here and there for everyone to know how amazing of an author she is. This book has not tarnished my ideas of her at all, and she will not tarnish you ideas of what a good book should contain. This book was absolutely amazing. The story pulls you in on the paragraph, opening the mind of our heroine and revealing her feelings. Feelings I am sure we have all felt at one point or another, no matter who you are. We all want something more out of our lives, and we all have the potential to be just so. You may not have it in you to for it, but our heroine does. So let her take you on her journey, and maybe even discover a little of yourself you have been hiding away. Her characters will fill you with your hidden fierceness and power, and feel just like I did. Empowered and ready to face what comes next for both the characters and in my life. Not everyone may feel the way that I feel about the book but that is okay, I am not going to force you to feel my opinions on the book because if all works out well you will feel them fine all by your lonely lonesome self.
Meet Elle Casey:
Here is a little bit I found about the author I thought I would share with you guys. The best way to understand a book is to understand the author, so I thought I would save you guys some time and money from having to hire a private detective to dig up some dirt on her by having them dig through her garbage or something. I mean do you know how weird it would be if you looked out your window and found someone looking through your garbage for who knows what? No, it has not happened to me and I will deny any accusations :P
About her (information taken from her website):
Elle Casey: a writer who in her spare time is also a lawyer, professor, mother, and wife (and not necessarily in that order). She absolutely loves books and has been reading since she was four Her favorite genres include. fantasy/paranormal, dystopian/post-apocalyptic, thriller, horror. Her first story writing adventure began for her some time in junior high. A few years ago she moved to southern France, where she now lives with her family consisting of her husband, 3 children and two dogs, as well as surrounded by vineyards, surrounded by ancient Roman ruins (isn't she a lucky ducky) and her wonderful friends in her life.
HEr blog: http://ellecasey.com/blog/
Her facebook page: http://facebook.com/ellecaseytheauthor
Her twitter: http://twitter.com/ellecasey
Her shelfari: http://shelfari.com/ellecasey
Final Words: Wow you made it all the way down here to the end I am so proud of you! I am just gonna wrap things up now for you, let you go and do something far more important than listen to me blabber on and on and on and.. and whoops there I go again sorry. If you have the opportunity I would strongly recommend you find a suitable form for yourself and purchase the book (and the read the thing you don't know how many times I have told people awesome books they go out and get it and then never read it. This book will be your money's worth I can guarantee you). Elle Casey is a fabulous author, and once you realize it too I encourage you to go ahead and purchase more of her books. I leave you this question, are you ready to unleash your inner bad a** along with the characters, and discover what you have had hidden within you all this time?