Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Book Review: A Place Without You by Jewel E. Ann

APWY - BT banner.jpg

A Place Without You, an all-new emotional New Adult romance from Jewel E. Ann, is available now!

APlaceWithoutYou_Amazon

Download your copy today or read FREE in Kindle Unlimited!


Add to GoodReads:  http://bit.ly/2AHhTNT


The Law of Henna and Bodhi:

When love breaks, fall inward, fall together, and fall hard. Then let time pick up the pieces.

Everything feels temporary when you’ve experienced tragedy—until Henna Lane meets Bodhi at a music festival.

Young and spontaneous, they have a lust for seizing the moment, falling hard and fast.

When Bodhi is forced to leave without a goodbye, Henna thinks she’ll never get over him. But then she meets Mr. Malone, her sexy, new guidance counselor.

They are reckless.

They are forbidden.

When their secret is discovered, Henna has to choose between finishing school—banned from seeing Mr. Malone—or dropping out to follow her nomad dreams.

Henna chooses her dreams.

Over time, she learns that life is not a destination or a journey, some things are more than temporary, and the forbidden can never be ignored. But if she returns for him, will he still be hers?

A Place Without You is an emotional story of young love, shattered dreams, and impossible decisions.


My Rating:

.
Favorite Quotes:

He eats one fry and hands me the last one. It’s oddly the most romantic thing a guy has ever done for me. The final french fry trumps a single red rose. At least, that’s how my mind works.

“Are you still flirting with me?” “Always. Even when our kids think it’s gross and we’re too old to flirt, I’m going to tease you with my sexiness.”

It’s hotter than a pot of Devil’s stew.

Do people really use paperweights? I always think of them as unsuspecting weapons in murder mysteries.

One of his eyes pops open, followed by the other. “Oh my God! You’re not dead.” I drop to my knees and rest my forehead on the arm of his chair, grabbing his hand and squeezing it tightly. “Not today, young lady. But Christ … I hope the mortician does a better job of checking my pulse than you did. I don’t relish the idea of being burned or buried alive.”

I’m pretty sure you’re still my greatest memory.


My Review:


I am not a fan of the angst which made this tragic story a treacherous and somewhat arduous trek for me to journey through, yet the writing was stellar and the cleverly alluring characters were enticing, complicated, and so incredibly nuanced; I couldn’t give up.  I had to read all the words.  Even the ones that greatly annoyed me. 

The storylines were shrewdly paced, and often heart-wrenching and multi-layered with complex issues and thought-provoking real-world dilemmas and obstacles that would be difficult for anyone to navigate, much less while in the throes of an epic love story.  The writing was lushly descriptive, poignantly insightful, and relentlessly mined all the feels with panache.  And oh, I have to mention the bone-melting sensuality... I may have been gasping... a few times.

I struggled in how to rate it overall which proved to be quite the predicament as there were sections I truly struggled with as well as the unfortunate deployment of my least favorite trope, yet the superior quality and thoughtfulness of the writing couldn't be overlooked.  While the HEA was hard won, it was well worth the effort and “quite the snack.”


Empress DJ


APWY-ANSQ


About Jewel:

Jewel is a free-spirited romance junkie with a quirky sense of humor. 

With 10 years of flossing lectures under her belt, she took early retirement from her dental hygiene career to stay home with her three awesome boys and manage the family business. 

After her best friend of nearly 30 years suggested a few books from the Contemporary Romance genre, Jewel was hooked.

 Devouring two and three books a week but still craving more, she decided to practice sustainable reading, AKA writing. 

When she’s not donning her cape and saving the planet one tree at a time, she enjoys yoga with friends, good food with family, rock climbing with her kids, watching How I Met Your Mother reruns, and of course…heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, panty-scorching novels. 


JewelEAnn

Connect with Jewel:
Stay up to date with Jewel by joining her mailing list:

No comments:

Post a Comment