Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Book Review: The Purrfect Pet Sitter by Carol Thomas





The Purrfect Pet Sitter

by Carol Thomas



Amazon US / UK



Introducing Lisa Blake, the purrfect pet sitter!
When Lisa Blake’s life in London falls apart, she returns to her hometown rebranding herself as ‘the purrfect pet sitter’ – which may or may not be false advertising as she has a rather unfortunate habit of (temporarily) losing dogs!

But being back where she grew up, Lisa can’t escape her past. There’s her estranged best friend Flick who she bumps into in an embarrassing encounter in a local supermarket. And her first love, Nathan Baker, who, considering their history, is sure to be even more surprised by her drunken Facebook friend request than Lisa is.

As she becomes involved in the lives of her old friends Lisa must confront the hurt she has caused, discover the truth about her mysterious leather-clad admirer, and learn how to move forward when the things she wants most are affected by the decisions of her past.


My Rating:





Favorite Quotes:



My Stan, you know, by God he knew how to treat a lady! The things we got up to when we took our bikes out of a Sunday afternoon. You should’ve seen us. Going alfresco, Stan would call it… The daft beggar! Ah, I miss him. I miss every bit of that man, I can tell you…


Less impressive were the too-tight-fitting Spiderman costumes worn by a marching band of elderly gentlemen, who were showing off more than their musical skills with the cut of their tights.


Uh oh, you didn’t find Napoleon, did you? … Napoleon Boneypart, the skeleton in my closet!


My Review:


I enjoyed this sneakily constructed second-chance romance, despite the slower pace of the developing story.  The main character of Lisa Blake was struggling, oh so mightily, with absolutely everything.  I wasn’t always as patient with Lisa as I should have been being that I had initially thought her selfish and then rather mousy and easily influenced, as I didn’t fully grasp just how damaged and traumatized she was until I was more than midway through the book.  Oh this clever and wily author, she tucked sly humor into unexpected nooks and crannies and threw several curve balls that kept me a bit on edge by dropping clues and misdirection and deviously planted worrisome seeds to draw my concern in the wrong direction.   And I fell for it.  Silly me.  Ms. Thomas’s writing was engaging, entertaining, and often amusing.  I will be watching her for repeat visits.  

Empress DJ



About Carol

Carol Thomas lives on the south coast of England with her husband, four children and lively young Labrador. She has been a playgroup supervisor and taught in primary schools for over fifteen years, before dedicating more of her time to writing. Carol is a regular volunteer at her local Cancer Research UK shop. She has a passion for reading, writing and people watching and can often be found loitering in local cafes working on her next book.

Social Media Links –

http://carol-thomas.co.uk

http://facebook.com/carolthomasauthor

http://twitter.com/carol_thomas2

http://www.pinterest.co.uk/carol_thomas2/

http://www.instagram.com/carol_thomas2/


No comments:

Post a Comment