Friday, June 20, 2014

Family Magic - Patti Larsen Review


13332528


Series: Hayle Coven
Book: Family Magic
Author: Patti Larsen
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Book Synopsis:
Her mom's a witch. Her dad's a demon. And she just wants to be ordinary. I batted at the curl of smoke drifting off the tip of my candle and tried not to sneeze. My heavy velvet cloak fell in oppressive, suffocating folds in the closed space of the ceremony chamber, the cowl trapping the annoying bits of puff I missed. I hated the way my eyes burned and teared, an almost constant distraction. Not that I didn't welcome the distraction, to be honest. Anything to take my mind from what went on around me. Being part of a demon raising is way less exciting than it sounds. Sydlynn Hayle's life couldn't be more complicated. Trying to please her coven, starting over in a new town, and fending off a bully cheerleader who hates her are just the beginning of her troubles. What to do when delicious football hero Brad Peters--boyfriend of her cheer nemesis--shows interest? If only the darkly yummy witch, Quaid Moromond, didn't make it so difficult for her to focus on fitting in with the normal kids. Add to that her crazy grandmother's constant escapes driving her family to the brink and Syd's between a rock and a coven site. Forced to take on power she doesn't want to protect a coven who blames her for everything, only she can save her family's magic. If her family's distrust doesn't destroy her first.



Book Review:
An amazing start to what appears to be a fantastic series from what I have read so far. I was hooked from the beginning, I don't think I have ever read a series quite like this one, which makes it all the better. The main character is a gem, there's a little bit of Syd in all of us, I know she has traits that definitely remind me of myself. The thing i think I love most about her is that fact that no matter what is happening, she still puts the love for her family ahead of things. So what if it means disobeying her mother aka coven leader, she's a badass heroine so it's okay. As the story unravels, my heart sped up at certain points where I thought it was going to jump out of my chest and find another body to inhabit. You know, get away from all the stress I was probably causing it. A story like this would be hard to maintain as it progressed, there would be lost of authors who lose the point in the middle of the book leaving readers unsattisfied. That is not the case here. Patti has given me all I could hope for and more.


Favorite Quotes:

"There's only one problem with mooping in your room for a whole day with no one to talk to. You have no one to talk to."

"I was done being a target, for my mother, for the Alison Morgan's of the world. They wanted a battle? They'd get one, Sydlynn Hayle style. Damn, I was late for class."

"The people who think witches are dangerous were never bullied in high school."

All in All:
A series with the promise of giving me more than I hoped for with each new book coming into my possession. I could barely put them down when I got my hands onto them, and I can't wait to read more of the series! You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment